Sunday, October 22, 2006

Champagne Confusion

The rest of the weekend passed without masses to report. Saturday afternoon brought a wander round Portobello Market and a few beers with Aussie Mate, as he was headed back Down Under the following day. Of all the wonders of Portobello Road, the one stall that caught his attention was a bizarre collection of ancient cameras - those massive ones with wooden frames and accordion like sides. This was interesting, as, if you’ll cast your mind back to my Oz trip (I assume that you all have every detail memorized, yes?) you might recall that I spent a very diverting couple of hours at the weirdest museum I have ever been to in my life - it was a village of cottages in the middle of nowhere, just off the Bruce Highway, most of which housed random masses of old-ish appliances - radios and refrigerators for example. I am beginning to think that a fascination for old, mechanical, well, crap really, is a particularly Antipodean preoccupation. Intriguing.

On Monday night, Al, newly off the plane from Hong Kong, and I kicked off my birthday a few hours early with a bottle of champagne in the terrace bar of Ruby Blue. Lovely to see her. I’d barely sobered up from that when Laura woke me on my birthday morning with champagne and croissants - I have a great sister - and the day only got better from there as I spent most of it polishing off the chocolate things from Marks & Spencer that I’d brought in, then ended up with dinner at my one of my favourite restaurants (Kettners in Soho). It was there that I broke the news to Laura that I’ve decided I am going to give match.com a go. It’s not that I am looking for Mr Right, more that I enjoy dating, which as an activity is somewhat generally scarce in London. Worst case scenario, I figure, I will be able to freshen up my store of nightmare date stories. Unfortunately she misheard me and thought I said I was going to Hong Kong (an understandable misunderstanding given the context of drinking with Al the previous night) so started to have a go at me for fleeing the country yet again and was quite relieved to hear that I am simply planning on pimping myself on the internet. I think it’ll be a giggle - watch this space, and all that.

The next couple of days were spent under a veil of phlegm from a nasty head cold so not much to report (certainly nothing that anyone would like to read) so thus ends a week in the life of Claire. Actually I have just realized that I started with Tuesday the previous week, so I shared that I had a cold for no good reason, apologies for that.