Thursday, September 14, 2006

Made It!

So here I am: about as far away from home as it is possible to be without starting to head back from the opposite direction. And not just any far flung destination either: Australia, somewhere I've imagined ever since I sat, goggle eyed in around 1987 as Scott Robinson confronted an intruder outside the Ramsay's house and she punched his lights out. Not, in all fairness, that my immediate surroundings (a hostel in downtown Cairns) bears much resemblance to either Erinsborough or Summer Bay - I haven't yet been called a "flaming gallah" nor have I stumbled across so much as one hitherto unsuspected sibling. But, you know, I just got here.
I've discovered that Australians must be the friendliest people on earth (sorry Canadians!) When I stumbled, bleary eyed, off the plane after nearly 30 hours travelling, I was astonished to be greeted with a "G'day Claire, how're you going?" - I had absolutely no idea how the man in front of me knew my name... until I realized that I'd just handed him my passport. I had absolutely no idea that those passport people could do anything but grunt suspiciously. Same with the customs people - I received my first "no worries" when I warned the man that my bag was heavy - my taxi driver, the man at the hostel and the lady I've just booked my snorkelling trip with. I love travelling alone, getting to explore and mosey around in my own way and at my own pace, not to mention meet new people; but it can't be underestimated how much difference a friendly face or greeting from a random stranger can make.
Weather is gorgeous - Queensland is in the middle of a "winter heatwave" - what a mad thought! - and so far I have spent most of my time being utterly lazy (recovering from jet lag, so I assure myself) lying around by the pool. Well, for one more day, at least - I've just found out that my snorkelling trip leaves at 7.30am tomorrow morning - eek!