Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Weekend INXS

When I was about 9 years old, I was deeply in love - along with most girls of my age in Britain and probably quite a few in Australia - with a young Aussie actor called Jason Donovan. He was in a soap called Neighbours with Kylie Minogue, they played a married couple and rumour had it were dating in real life. And if that wasn't quite astoundingly romantic enough they even released a duet called Especially for You which to my young heart was just the last word ever on luurvveee. I desperately wanted his album - Ten Good Reasons, fact fans - for my 10th birthday, and my dad was duly dispatched to the record shop to purchase it and stop me whining. Unfortunately - or indeed fortunately, as it turned out - my dad doesn't have much of a memory for slightly girly looking Australian pop singers, so at the shop he struggled a bit, muttering, "uummmm, Australian.... singer... aha! Kylie's boyfriend! I would like Kylie's boyfriend's album to stop my daughter whining. Please." However it turned out that good old Kylie had moved on to pastures new... the pastures new being none other than Michael Hutchence.

So, on my birthday morning I excitedly ripped open my brand new tape to find... Kick. Kick. "What's this??" I demanded in disgust, "Not one of these people have been in Neighbours!!" I refused to listen to it. I might even have stepped on it and cracked the tape case.
"You'll bloody well listen to any tape I buy you, you ungrateful wee (expletive deleted)" yelled Dad.
"I won't! It's rubbish!" I yelled right back, stamping my just-turned-ten-year-old foot like a just-turned-two-year-old.

Finally, on threat of grounding and not being allowed to watch Neighbours ever again, I sat down and listened to it. Nearly twenty years later, I jumped on a plane to Las Vegas for the weekend...

My write up of the weekend can be found at:

http://www.rockband.com/inxs/news/concert-review-vegas-01-2006.asp

And review (of sorts, no one could accuse me of being much of a critic!) of the Lovehammers concert at the Viper Room:

http://lovehammersfanclub.com/lhfanclub/ViperRoomReview.html