Monday, March 27, 2006

Virtual Insanity

The other day, in the midst of catching up with two old friends, I happened to mention my friend Al in Hong Kong. The conversation stopped and I cringed, hoping that they wouldn’t ask the inevitable. They did – “who’s Al? You’ve never mentioned an Al before.” And I had to admit that in fact I don’t really know an Al in Hong Kong. Al isn’t her real name, in fact I don’t know for sure that she is female – or even exists, at all. Am I stark raving mad? Probably, but hear me out.

For me, it all started innocently enough. Last summer my favourite band auditioned on tv for a new lead singer (no prizes for guessing for who my favourite band is) and towards the end of the series I missed an episode, so naturally enough (see how I justify myself? Come join me on Planet Dellusion!) I searched the internet for a recap to find out who had been eliminated, stumbled across a message board community… and nothing has been quite the same since. I am fascinated by this very 21st century form of communication, even socializing: the group dynamic that emerges between people who have never laid eyes on one another, the social mores, the varying tones between different boards, the cliquishness, and the disconcerting way a computer screen can suddenly assume atmosphere. From in-jokes spanning several time zones to the way the board rallies round members suffering personal hard times, I can’t help but note the way that people naturally overcome the inherent impersonal-ness of the internet. Despite expert claims that the internet is a threat to social interaction, I have found the opposite to be true. A connection or common ground on the board seems to lead to email, then phone and eventually meeting, and many people have reported that one of their favourite parts of the band’s recent tour was meeting up with other board members. A couple of months ago, I travelled – from England – to Las Vegas for the weekend to see one of the tour dates, and ended up spending the majority of the weekend with ‘old friends’ I could not have picked out of a line up prior to the trip.

The effects of friendships that are a product of common interest rather than dictated by geographical limitations on the 21st century international lifestyle are exciting. I have a possible stopover in Hong Kong in the next couple of months, and rather than venturing out alone or staying in at the hotel, I will be able to use the time to verify the existence of my good friend Al.